Headline News
23 July 2021

Thabazimbi – Hannetjie and Tienie Milford mourn the loss of their beloved dog Asjas who was poisoned on Wednesday 14 July.

The Milford family had three dogs… Mila, Gesiggie and Asjas. When they woke up on that tragic morning, going about their usual routine, they let the dogs out. After a while they noticed that Asjas was looking lethargic and started vomiting.

They immediately suspected poisoning and rushed her to the vet. The vet confirmed their suspicions. Asjas ingested poison identified by the vet as Temik – better known as ‘Two-Step’.

The very next day they were once again met with misfortune. Gesiggie and Mila also started to display symptoms of poisoning and they had to be taken to the vet. 

Asjas never made it back home and died on 19 July.

Luckily, they made it just in time to save the other two. “It broke our hearts. She was like one of our children and we adored her. I  can’t understand how anyone could be so cruel to kill an innocent animal,” Tienie said.

They suspect that the poisoning may be linked to another traumatic incident that they endured about a month ago when an intruder broke into their house.

Hannetjie explained: “We were getting ready to go to sleep and Tienie went to turn off the light. It was then that he noticed a man standing in the hallway.

A struggle ensued and I opened the bedroom door to let the dogs out. They managed to chase the intruder away.”

Except for the grief after their loss, they are also now left wondering if that intruder is going to return. 

Temik or ‘Two-step’ has become a potent weapon used by criminals to silence their canine victims. Platinum Bushvelder spoke to Kransberg Dierekliniek veterinarian Mari Naude about this poison.
Although it is usually used as a pesticide by farmers, it can only be legally obtained by either being a qualified pesticide operator, or by having a qualified operator present while using the product. It is however freely available on the black market.

According to Mari it has a dark grey to black, granule-like appearance. “Often when we do a post-mortem, we can easily confirm Temik poisoning by the granules found in the stomach of the animals.” The poison is inserted into meat ‘bait’ like viennas or polony.

“It is a malicious poison so if you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, getting to a vet within the first half hour is vital,” she said.

Mari also advised that if you live far from your nearest vet, you can give your dog activated charcoal to extend the survival time frame, but a vet visit is still required. She advises pet owners to rather keep their dogs inside during the night and to inspect their garden in the morning before letting the dogs out.

Symptoms of Temik poisoning:

  • Paralysis
  • Salivation 
  • (excessive secretion of saliva)
  • Epilepsies
  • Urination 
  • Muscle tremors
  • Pupil constriction
  • Aggression 
Hannetjie Milford holding Asjas’ jacket. 
Tienie and Hannetjie Milford mourn the loss of their beloved dog Asjas.

Share this article with a friend...